Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the other blog I participate in: The Broke and the Bookish. We are particularly fond of lists, so hop on over and show us yours!

This week's Top Ten:
Your Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves
All those things that annoy you as a reader.

1. Endings that don't fit the story: I'm all for happy endings, really, I am. But you can't have the main character during the whole book falling from nasty thing into horrifying event and THEN have them doing happy dances and singing songs at the end. Seriously. That's just wrong. Which is exactly why I thought the Hunger Games' ending worked, it fits the series.

2. Instant-love, just add water: I love me some good romance, but instant love is not believable. Instant attraction is, but not love. That's something that grows over time. Sure you can be soulmates, but you can't tell me you know that after seeing someone for 3 seconds.

3. Deus ex machina endings: if the divine are going to come in and save the day, then WHY was the hero/heroine fighting that hard up until that point?? There's really no point and it kind of ruins the story.
For me this can also apply to anything that makes it to easy to defeat the bad guy, as in: evildoer, you're allergic to cauliflower? How CONVENIENT.

4. Plot holes: big gaping holes of DOOM I get confused over.

5. Instant-knowledge/power/ability: this sort of goes hand in hand with instant-love and deus ex machina, I want to know the characters worked for what they can do. Sure you can have some natural ability, but you don't go from little weakling to all-powerful in the blink of an eye. That's just wrong.

6. Being evil for the sake of evil: this can go for the obvious villains like tyrant leaders to the mean girl in high school: no-one is nasty without a reason. I want the arch-enemies to be 3D as well.

7. Stereotypical characters: yes, I read a lot of romance novels and in those this happens a lot, BUT there's no need for the lady in the novel to be always waiting on the dashing lord to save her. She can do a little fending for herself if she feels so inclined instead of simpering in the corner.

8. Whiny/bratty teenagers: well, whiny characters as a whole, but whiny teenagers make my toes curl in a very bad way.

9. Desciptions of things I don't care about that go on and on and on and on (OMG, it's never going to end!!): I love a little detail, but there is such a thing as taking it too far and getting lost in the merits of an ant crawling across a wall or the whole of Russian politics in the 19th century.

10. Waiting sooooo long for the next book in a series: this one doesn't have to do with the story itself, but OMG, the wait for some books nearly kills me! Seriously. And then the publication date gets pushed further back and I'm tearing my hair out in anticipation. Not pretty.

I actually made it to 10! Tell me if you share some of my pet peeves!

8 comments:

  1. Great list this week! I didn't get around to making my own, but I totally agree with number 1. The ending needs to fit the rest of the story - even if it's depressing. Great call on number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree with so many of these Daisy! Deus ex machina can be so frustrating - such a cop-out. As is the instant power thing, I hate it when all of a sudden, at just the right moment, the character just realizes that they have this ability they never knew about before. GRRRRRR.

    And #9 reminds me of Lord of the Rings. I couldn't stand all the description Tolkien put in there, that just weighed the plot down!

    As for your comment about the medical inaccuracies in movies/TV, I totally get where you're coming from. There are so many medical dramas out there and I'm sure most of them get a lot of the details completely wrong! (Have you seen Grey's Anatomy?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great pet peeves, Daisy. I'm so sick of the instant love in romances too. I hated "Evermore" because of this reason. She hate/loved the guy, but ultimately convinced herself that she loved him because "he's hot". Don't even get me started on how pushy the main guy was either. Grr...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree -- anything that comes too easily or wraps up too nicely just ruins my suspension of disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. I absolutely agree, especially with the evil characters... I love it when I can sympathise with the villain, maybe he's doing something he believes is right (but isn't really), I can't stand those who are just evil all over because nothing is purely evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, insta-love. Another good one I forgot to put on my list. If Bella and Edward aren't the perfect example of these, I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice list! I have many of the same pet peeves.
    I don't like insta-love or whinny teenagers, and descriptions sometimes annoy me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate waiting for the next book of a series, especially when it's over a year. Great list, by the way.

    ReplyDelete