Sunday, July 17, 2011

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz



Title/Author: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz
Publisher/Date published: Harlequin Teen, June 28th 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to — Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.
But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives — visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else."

I really, really enjoyed this book! I mean, it had it all: a likeable main character, her charming love-interest, intriguing legend, DRAMA and nice supporting characters.

Seriously, I REALLY enjoyed this book.

Ok, now I've gotten that off my chest, let's move onto the actual review. Emma Connor has been having a hard time, in the past two years her twin brother and her mother have passed away and she was left to stay with her alcoholic, violent stepfather. Until after he caused an accident DUI, she went to live with her aunt Christine, who is a prominent upper-east-sider. And finally a normal, caring person for Emma to come home to.

Emma hasn't let the past make her bitter and I liked that about her. Sure, her bullshit radar is sharp and she sniffs out guys that are bad news, but she wants to make new friends and have a somewhat normal life. Except normal isn't what life has planned for her. I really liked Emma. And Cisco, Angelique, Ashley and aunt Christine. And BRENDAN! BRENDAN! BRENDAN! So good you have to say it three times! Brendan is lovely, I'd stare into those green eyes forever given the chance.

The curse was so intriguing! I mean, imagine being cursed to die when you meet the ONE! And being predestined from birth to be with that one person and being so attracted to eachother that avoiding said person is physically impossible. I kind of guessed how the curse could be broken, it's really sweet and slightly cheesy, but it worked.

The whole story just worked and I was so rooting for Emma and Brendan to pull through it all! Oh and the bad guy was evil! EVIL! I wished really bad things onto him! There was an excerpt from another story surrounding Angelique at the end and I would LOVE to read that! I can't find it on Goodreads yet, but I'm keeping an eye out, because Angelique is awesome!

Oh, and this is one of the first paranormal romances I've read that's not part of a series! So if you're into a good story, but don't want to wait for the next book in a series, read this book!

My rating: 4,5 stars

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome, I have it on my To Buy List - and I'm going to bump it up.

    I love that you say that Emma isn't bitter, I hate bitter characters. And the rest just sound like a good story ;)

    thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete