Monday, September 5, 2011

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan



Title/Author: A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan
Publisher/Date published: Candlewick, August 9th 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss.
Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten sub-basement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now her parents and her first love are long dead, and Rose - hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire - is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat.
Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existance, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes - or be left without any future at all."

OMG, it was SO GOOD! Seriously!

I had some doubts about this book before I read it, but let me just tell you that I shouldn't have had them, because this book was so amazing, I LOVED it!

It started a bit slow, and if this happens for you, don't put it down, because you'll miss some really good stuff! Rose was a character that I didn't connect to right away, but over time she grew on me and I came to love her. She can be frustrating, because of the way she acts, she's really passive. But as you get to know her story, you can see why she is the way she is.

And don't even get me started on Otto! Seriously, I love the little blue alien. And I loved Bren and Xavier and Zavier the dog... Enough characters for me to love and be happy and sad for.
The book made me cry. I won't tell you what it is, but it involves Rose and Xavier before she was put in stass towards the end of the book. HEARTBREAKING, EPIC MOMENT!

I couldn't put the book down and just read 3 hours straight till the end. I put of things like food, water and bathroom breaks so I could keep reading. It was THAT good. I was horrified at how it all turned out to be, though I did kind of guess a huge thing I won't tell you cause OMG spoilers, but let me just say: BAD PARENTS! Really BAD parents! If ever I hated parents in a novel, this would be the pair. Seriously.

But I've ranted enough, the main point: READ THE BOOK! I absolutely loved it!
Just one question: sequel?? It doesn't say anywhere if there'll be one..

My rating: 5+ stars

6 comments:

  1. You have me so excited, I've got this one on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like this one was a definite winner for you! I've been hearing good things and I think it sounds like a really creative take on Sleeping Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to read this! You are so excited over it...great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing! And I know that it's probably not that similar at all, but have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy? It's about a guy & girl who were part of a cryogenic experiment, but they wake up 100 years later & the world has pretty much gone to crap and it's up to them to save everyone.

    Anyways, this sounds like a better, less funny version of that movie so it's definitely going on my list of books to look for tomorrow at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you make it sound awesome!! :)
    I'll add it to my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does sound interesting. It's nice when a book you're not expecting much from surprises you. I love anything with heartbreaking romance moments :-)

    ReplyDelete