Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review of Black City by Elizabeth Richards


Title/Author: Black City (Black City #1) by Elizabeth Richards
Publisher/Date published: Putnam Sons BYR, November 13th 2012
How I got this book: bought it
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable — they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed — but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

Guys, I had some issues with this book. And I have to admit that it almost made me DNF it. I probably would have if it hadn't been for the shelving over of the money I did for the hardcover. I'm kinda glad I sticked with it though.

I kinda get this sour tast in my mouth whenever there's talk of a special kind of 'soul mate' for different species. Mainly because it's a convenient vehicle for insta-love, because well, why would you need an actual relationship when you can go BOOM! LOVE!
And this time it really annoyed me, because Ash and Natalie REALLY don't get along and then all of a sudden Ash discovers she's his special snowflake and BAM they're in love. Seriously? I mean, SERIOUSLY? This happened pretty early on and I kinda almost just put it down for good.

But I continued on for reasons I explained above and while the lovestory REALLY didn't work for me, the rest of it was pretty interesting. The Darklings are really interesting, and the half-bloods very much more so. And this nasty thing infecting Darklings which causes them to go mad is horrifying! And seriously, the whole political intrigue was just so dark and scary! It's a harsh world that Elizabeth Richards has created and her writing really made this dark atmosphere come to life.

There's something about cults that is just so scary to me! And Puritan Rose's movement very much felt like a cult. Without seeing much of him, he is one scary villain! It was pretty awful to see how it could turn someone who claims to care about Natalie into a monster.

I think that if the romance had been better, I would have really loved this book. But it just felt off and too convenient and for all that Ash said he loved Natalie, he blew her off to hang out with another girl, which did have an explanation in the end, but seriously? You cannot do that.

The chapters leading up to the end were REALLY good though and I'm kinda leaning towards picking up Phoenix, but I'm gonna wait for the paperback this time.

My rating: 2,5 stars

5 comments:

  1. "His special snowflake" *snort* The only reason I want to read this book are The Darklings, but it's a shame that the romance didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, insta-love. I'm afraid it's an insta-turn-off me for me when I see that in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had major issues with this one. Not sure if you read my review or not, but I agree with you on the insta-love and the creepy cults. My biggest problem, though, was the kitty murder. I can't handle that at ALL. Drat we didn't both love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I'm a library girl (and one who is very blessed to have a very good library)-this was a fine read for me but not one I'd want to own nor pay hardback price for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really not at all intrigued by this one, unfortunately. Something about the book just doesn't sit right with me, so I think I'll pass on it. I'm glad it improved at least a little with you, even though it doesn't look like you ended up liking it all that much.

    ReplyDelete