Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review of The Duke and I by Julia Quinn


Title/Author: The Duke and I (Bridgertons #1) by Julia Quinn
Publisher/Date published: Avon, January 5th 2000
How I got this book: bought it
Buy it at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Can there be any greater challenge to London's Ambitious Mamas than an unmarried duke?
— Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, April 1813

By all accounts, Simon Basset is on the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely — and almost-on-the-shelf — Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth — it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy suitors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

Guys, you know how much I love my historical romance. And after MANY recommendations from one of my Broke and Bookish buddies Julia, I FINALLY got my butt in gear and started The Duke and I. And now I'm gonna officially call myself a Julia Quinn fan!

I really loved A Night Like This when I read it last year and have been meaning to read another one of Julia Quinn's books ever since. And The Duke and I did not disappoint! It's full of the witty writing that I came to love in A Night Like This. I love that Julia Quinn combines all the swoony parts with laugh out loud funny moments, it's not easy to do right!

Daphne was a decent heroine who knows what she wants and Simon is pretty damaged, but still a swoonworthy hero. And together they bring all the sparks! I lvoed their interactions and how Daphne isn't afraid to call him out on things she doesn't like or to laugh at him. I mean, sure, I would have liked for them to work things out with words most of the time rather than doing some of the (in my opinion) relationship-destructive things they did. But of course it all works out in the end, so I'm good with it.

And seriously, I LOVE Daphne's mama! You can see the love between her and her children, but I just adored that while her sons think they're 'escaping' their mother, they don't see how they're manipulated into doing an escape trick because their mother wants time to herself. I loved it!

It didn't make me cry and I would have liked some things to be done a bit differently, but nonetheless, The Duke and I was such an enjoyable read and I'm already loving my first glimps into the Bridgerton family! I've already ordered The Viscount Who Loved Me because I've heard it's even better!

My rating: 4,5 stars

6 comments:

  1. I love this series! Looking forward to seeing what you think of the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Julia Quinn. The Bridgerton family is ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lady B is AWESOME!!!
    I'll be reviewing the second epilogues book soon, since I just got it and it has a story about her.

    Also, I'm glad you liked it! Personally, I think the next three books are the strongest: The Viscount WHo Loved Me, An Offer From a Gentleman and Romancing Mr. Bridgerton but the Duke and I was okay!!
    I hope you like Viscount!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THE BRIDGERTONS. I'm obsessed with this series, and read it whenever I can because it's just SO GOOD. This was the series that made me fall in love with Julia Quinn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like The Viscount Who Loved Me better (the Pall Mall game is aces!) but the first four books in this series are all pretty fantastic! You have some great moments ahead of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Carole's Chatter is collecting posts about Favourite Romance Novels. This looks like a good one. It would be super if you linked it in. This is the link - Your Favourite Romances I hope to see you soon. Cheers

    ReplyDelete