Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Review of Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken


Title/Author: Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2) by Alexandra Bracken
Publisher/Date published: Disney-Hyperion, October 15th 2013
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children’s League call Ruby “Leader”, but she knows what she really is: a monster.

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children’s League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America’s children — and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts — has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flashdrive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future—and who now wouldn’t recognize her.

As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam — and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart — she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself?
Goodreads summary:

***WARNING: SPOILERS POSSIBLE FOR BOOK 1***

Guys, I freaking loved The Darkest Minds when I read it last year! And seriously, after that ending, the wait for Never Fade was EXCRUCIATING! Because holy crap! She just erased herself from Liam's memories and AAAAH!!! HOW! WHY! PLEASE JUST NO! (Basically my reaction at the time)

In Never Fade we meet Ruby again, she's been with the Children's League for a while and they've put her through training and are sending her out on ops. And making her 'question' prisoners. I could feel Ruby's struggle with her abilities! She's learned to accept them somewhat more, but she still doesn't like it. And while I sorta get it, at one point I just wanted to shake her and tell her to man up and just learn to live with it. She is definitely a lot more mature than she was at the start of the series and now has to guide some kids herself. I felt so sorry for her that she basically only had 2 persons in the League who would talk to her and not be deadly afraid or disgusted or feel any other ugly emotion for her! She was so isolated and it was partly her fault for not reaching out and being plenty antisocial, but still, that kind of censure is awful!

And guys, do you know how much I loved Jude? Jude is Ruby's one-man-welcoming-comittee and he is just awesome! I loved how open and accepting he was and I just wanted to hug him so many times! I also liked Vida, she's badass and while at first I didn't really know what to make of her, by the end she turned out to be a solid character and I like her!
But they can't compete with the special place both Chubs and Liam have in my heart. I love those two boys SO MUCH! The only complaint I have here is: not enough Liam!

I do have to admit that I'd forgotten some things from The Darkest Minds and a teensy tiny recap would have been helpful, some hints about what happened before here and there. But that's really my problem and not a comment on the writing itself. But I do like it when the author adds something like this because it's easier to fall back into the story without having to deep dig into my memory for what exactly happened last time.

So Never Fade is a pretty dark read. These are dark times and there are still awful things happening! It's not easy and it's not all flowers and sunshine and there are some impossible decisions to be made and powers that are explored and Ruby is getting more control and high stakes and just EPICNESS!! I had a crazy busy week, otherwise I would have finished this a lot sooner, because I really didn't want to put it down and just raced through the last chapters and THEN IT ENDED!! And what will I do now until the next book comes out?? The last chapter gave me so many feelings and questions for the future and just GAH GET HERE SOON SEQUEL! I need to know how it all ends!!

My rating: 5 stars

Made me crave: risotto

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm glad you liked it! I agree though, definitely not anywhere near enough Liam in this one. Also, new ship: Chubs/Vida. Their banter had me cracking up all over the place. Pretty please let them get together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES! I am SO shipping those two!! This needs to happen! :D

      Delete
  2. I thought this was one of the best sequels I've read. I loved The Darkest Minds and that ending just killed me (I was pretty much screaming nooooo!), but when I read Never Fade, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Liam!! Jude!! Such a fantastic series and I can't wait for the next one. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete