Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Review of Afterglow by Karsten Knight


Title/Author: Afterglow (Wildefire #3) by Karsten Knight
Publisher/Date published: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Teenage volcano goddess Ashline Wilde discovers that her former love, Colt Halliday, has an evil plan to kill the Cloak, the benevolent beings that oversee the gods. And that’s not all — he also wants to merge Ash and her two sisters back into a single, too-powerful goddess, Pele. Ash must stop her trickster-god ex-boyfriend once and for all…and to do it, she’s going to have to feed a few flames.

***WARNING: SPOILERS POSSIBLE FOR FIRST TWO BOOKS IN THE SERIES***

Guys, I was really excited to read Afterglow, and while I may not have liked it as much as I did Embers and Echoes, it was a satisfying conclusion to the series!

We meet Ash again, trying to track down her sisters and Colt, whose crazy ass is trying to put Ash, Eve and Rose back together into one volatile goddess. Yeah. That didn't sound like such a great idea to me either. But Colt has his heart set on it and Ash is trying to stop him. Without hurting innocent people. No matter that if the three of them are made into Pele again, a lot more innocent people might die. I mean, I get it, but part of me was wishing she'd stop being so considerate of everyone and just stop the guy because he was getting on my nerves. A lot.

I felt that Colt got away with everything a little bit too easily. I mean, I get that his regenerative powers make it REALLY hard to kill or incapacitate him, BUT surely there might have been better choices than the ones Ash and her crew made along the way. I mean, it was a little bit too easy for him to get everything the way he wanted to without being stopped on the way there. And also, his annoying girlfriend Epona. SERIOUSLY, someone needed to take out that girl because she was CRAZY. And annoying. I can deal with a little crazy, but not if there's no reasoning with someone.

There's a whole lot going down in this final instalment in the series, some new characters and some old friends and well, I enjoyed the ride. There was an epic battle and obviously the stakes were high, the events living up to it could have been a little more exciting in my opinion. But I did really enjoy it! And I thought the way it wrapped up in the end was very cleverly done and made me smile!

My rating: 3,5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I still have to read the sequel... Looking forward to it! They named Colt's girlfriend Epona? After the horse goddess? And she was irritating...Oh :( sadness I love Epona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don't think I would like this one but you made me want to read the first two of the series :D
    Thanks for the review, Daisy.

    ReplyDelete