Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Review of Pushed by Corrine Jackson


Title/Author: Pushed (Sense Thieves #2) by Corrine Jackson
Publisher/Date published: Kensington Teen, November 26th 2013
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: She didn’t know how far she’d go — until she was pushed.

Remy O’Malley was just learning to harness her uncanny healing power when she discovered the other,darker half of her bloodline. Now she lives trapped between two worlds, uneasy among her fellow Healers — and relentlessly hunted by the Protectors.

Forced to conceal her dual identity, and the presence of her Protector boyfriend Asher Blackwell, Remy encounters a shadow community of Healers who will put her loyalties to the test.

Pushed to the limit, with the lives of those she loves most on the line, Remy must decide whether to choose sides in a centuries-old war — or make the ultimate sacrifice and go to a place from which she may never return...

**WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES**

So you might remember how I wasn't a really big fan of the first book in the series, Touched. I was however interested in the whole Protector-Healer thing enough to pick up the second book in the series. And it worked a little better for me than the first one, which might have something to do with the fact that Asher was mostly absent. Cause I'm still not digging him.

Remy doesn't really seem to get a break, aside from a mom who didn't take very good care of her, she now has to deal with her grandfather, who gave me the creeps. Grandpa's should be only be allowed to be cuddly and protective. I didn't like him.
I did get a bit annoyed with Remy's woe is me attitude, because really, while I get that her life is anything but easy, she's a bit too willing to give up and sacrifice herself and UGH! I needed her to stop putting everyone else first and just realise that she's also worth something and not just as a healing prodigy. I so wanted her to stand up for herself.

Guys, I so want to talk about the ship I'm shipping, cause it's not Remy and Asher, cause I still don't like Asher, but I'm afraid I'll spoil things, so I'll just put it all here and you can light up to read:
**I'm SO shipping Remy and Gabe!! EEEEE! I mean, IT IS PERFECTION! Well, maybe not perfection in that she's 'in love' with his brother (I'm not convinced), but they have this whole love-hate thing and it is SO GOOD! I felt indifferent about Gabe in the first book, but here he's just wormed his way into my heart and it is AWESOME. Now if only Remy could get behind the ship, we'd be very happy together.**
I'm not really digging the love triangle though and I'm kinda scared that the author isn't shipping MY ship... But it was so perfect... *sigh*

I still really like Remy's dad, her stepmom and her stepsister, they are all kinds of awesome and light up the scenes they're in. They really care about Remy and show it in their actions and I liked it. They're also just good people. I also really liked one of the new characters we're introduced to: Erin, another Healer. She's a sweet girl and I liked seeing her and Remy become friends.

Some batcrap crazy things go down in Pushed and at times I was just going WTF??? Seriously, how can so much bad stuff happen to one person? It was a little much for me. While this isn't my favourite series, I think I'm gonna stick with it and read the final book in the trilogy, if only to get closure on the love triangle and get answers to some other questions I'm still having.

My rating: 3 stars

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty good! Or at least better than the previous one.
    :D

    ReplyDelete